Planned Unit Development
(A) (1) This zone is intended to preserve the
natural environment, encourage high quality development and innovative
design, and ensure adequate public facilities and services.
(2) The Council intends a PUD to produce a development that achieves a
superior development compared to development under base zoning and
(3) The PUD Zone is intended to respond to unique and extraordinary
circumstances, where more flexible zoning than what is achievable
through a base zone is necessary, this includes:
(a) A development site with special physical characteristics, such as
properties with significant topographical or environmental barriers to
standard development or construction practices;
(b) A development site subject to an existing PUD and rezoning to a
new PUD zone will bring the site closer to conformance with current
zoning regulations and adopted plans; and
(c) Where the proposed scale or timing of a development project
demands a more customized zoning approach to achieve a successful
(4) This zone is intended for large or complex single or multi-use
development that is planned as a single contiguous development under
(5) This zone provides greater design flexibility by authorizing modifications
of site development requirements.
(6) The Council retains the legislative authority to determine whether PUD
zoning is appropriate regardless of whether the proposed development
meets the standards prescribed by this section.
(7) In return for the flexibility in site design with respect to the arrangement
of buildings, heights, setbacks, densities, open space and circulation
elements, development under a PUD zone should provide significant
public benefit not achievable through application of a base zone,
including significant affordable housing, greater diversification of land
uses, innovation in development, more efficient use of land and energy,
exemplary pedestrian amenities, and development patterns compatible
in character and design with nearby areas and with the goals and
objectives of the Comprehensive Plan.
(8) A PUD zone is not intended as a vehicle to solely enhance a proposed
development’s economic feasibility.